The pandemic that has changed lives across Niagara, Canada in recent weeks, has pushed local business owners, educators, researchers and scientists to join forces and develop new and innovate ways to combat COVID-19 and help support front line workers.
Here are a few local success stories:
- A Beamsville co-founded company called clean works, turned what was initially developed to make Niagara’s food safer into a machine used to sanitize personal protective equipment (PPE) for frontline workers. Read more about this impressive technology here.
- Calhoun Sportwear are using their expertise and equipment to manufacture thousands of reusable cloth masks to protect people throughout North America from COVID-19. Read more about their efforts to support the community here.
- Niagara College teaching distillery and the Walker Advanced Manufacturing centre is developing alcohol based sanitizer and face shields. Read more about how Niagara College is supporting local health.
- Dillon’s Small Batch Distillers has modified production and is creating special batches of hand sanitizer and disinfectant. Read more about Dillon’s and other distillers use of materials and expertise to help fill the gap in supply.
- Members of Brock University have stepped up to support front-line workers in their own ways, while the University continues ongoing research and the donation of supplies. Read more about the items Brock employees are creating to help health care providers.
Businesses and small and medium enterprises (SME’s) that have parts/experience, but not a full solution are encouraged to connect with OCE Innovation who are helping different businesses to collaborate, fill product services gaps and come up with new COVID-19 solutions.
Additional support and information can be found from local resources, such as:
- Innovate Niagara
- Spark Niagara
- Greater Niagara Chamber of Commerce
- South Niagara Chamber of Commerce
- Niagara Industrial Association
- Niagara Falls Ryerson Innovation Hub
- Venture Niagara
- Vineland Research
- Niagara College Research & Innovation
- Niagara Falls Small Business Enterprise Centre
- St. Catharines Economic Development
- Niagara Economic Rapid Response Team