Applications for the Ontario Business Costs Rebate Program are now open. Eligible businesses that are required to close or reduce their capacity due to the current public health measures can apply for the program starting today.
Eligible businesses that are required to close or reduce capacity during the current provincial public health restrictions will receive rebate payments for up to 100% of their property tax and energy costs they incur while subject to these measures.
Eligible businesses required to close for indoor activities, such as restaurants and gyms, will receive a rebate payment equivalent to 100% of their costs and similarly, those required to reduce capacity to 50%, such as smaller retail stores, will receive a rebate payment equivalent to 50% of their costs.
Businesses will be required to submit proof of costs associated with property tax and energy bills as part of the application process. All eligible businesses must submit an application to be considered, including those that received previous COVID-19 support payments.
Eligible businesses include:
- restaurants and bars
- indoor meeting and event spaces
- indoor concert venues, theatres and cinemas
- casinos, bingo halls and other gaming establishments
- indoor portion of horse and car racing tracks
- indoor museums, galleries, aquariums, zoos, science centres, landmarks, historic sites, botanical gardens and similar attractions
- indoor clubhouses at outdoor recreational amenities
- indoor business associated with tour and guide services
- bathhouses and sex clubs
- personal care services (hair or body)
- retailers (non-grocery, less than 50,000 sq ft)
- small grocery stores (less than 5,000 sq ft)
- gyms and other indoor sports and recreational facilities
- places of worship
- steam rooms and saunas
- oxygen bars
- indoor teaching and instruction centres
- day camps and overnight camps for children
- before- and after-school programs
- pet and veterinary services
To apply to the program, please visit here.
For more information on the Ontario Business Costs Rebate program, please visit here.
To read the provincial government’s technical briefing on the Ontario Business Costs Rebate Program and Ontario COVID-19 Small Business Relief Grant, please visit here.